Friday, December 12, 2008

Wake Up


  Monday night, only a day after getting to see my beloved Steelers come through in the end for a resounding victory over the Dallas Cryboys, I was treated to a surprise appearance by the Pittsburgh Penguins on Versus. Well, I say treat, but in the end it was painful to watch. I caught the game right after the first intermission. Soon after starting the second period with the Buffalo Sabres, the Penguins looked to be in control of the game. They put one in the net to give themselves a nice cushion with a 3-1 lead. Well, as it played out, the Penguins played sloppily in their zone for the next thirty-five minutes, giving up ridiculous goals by not blocking out Sabres that were crashing the net. It was painful to watch the Pens fail on a 5 on 3 opportunity and 2 more power plays before it came to an end with the Penguins coming out on the losing end, 4-3 at home. 

  I haven't seen a game since then, because I only get to watch when they're on Versus, but I heard yesterday that they've been on a three game losing streak. Ouch. Well, last night, as I was watching the ESPN scroll, I saw that the Penguins finally woke up their offense with a huge win over the NY Islanders. 9-2 was the final count, with two unlikely players(Sykora & Dupuis) garnering hat tricks. The stars of the team, Crosby and Malkin, ended up with five assists and a goal between them. Not too shabby.  I'm glad to see they can rebound after some tough losses, and I'm hoping solid play will only build as they come up on the second half of the season. 

3 comments:

*Jen* said...

I am so out of the loop that I didn't even realize hockey season had started!
*blush*

CZ Nash said...

First week in October. With the season so long (until the first week of April) it's unfortunate I can't see more of my Pens.

Anonymous said...

you know columbus has a hockey team here. (the columbus cottonmouths) alexis maya is so excited about playing next year. she has to be 3....im going to send you a pic you will find amusing of her. hockey in georgia, who would have thought?!?!