Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Single Goal


That's all I want. A goal. Please, Pittsburgh. Just score. I've been watching for months now as the offensive firepower for the Pittsburgh Penguins has come together, great defense was formed, and an awesome team has grown from a collection of draft picks. This success was evident all through the first three rounds of the playoffs, but has since disappeared with the finals in their chase for the cup. I'm not an idiot, and I was not delusional. I know the Detroit Red Wings are a phenomenal team. They've made that perfectly clear in the first two games. Perfect passes and excellent defense-the very thing the Pens were doing against the Senators, Rangers, and Flyers.

The Penguins have not shown up for their final series. They did, briefly, in the second period of the second game, but have for the most part, been mailing in their effort. I saw life in the latter part of the second game, but again it was put down by a ridiculous goal by yet another diving Red Wing. Hopes were dashed and desires turned into frustration. At least they were showing emotion and passion in the elbows and punches they were throwing. They'll need every bit of that fire tonight. The Pens are at home, finally, where they are undefeated in the playoffs this year. I am just hoping for a good showing, culminating in victory for my Penguins. That's the least they could do to put an end to my depression over the derailment of their fast train to Lord Stanley's Cup.

I knew this series would be their toughest challenge yet, by a long shot, but never in my wildest expectations did I think Detroit would pitch two shutouts in the first two meetings. Hossa, Malkin, Ruutu, and most of all Crosby, you have to show up tonight. Otherwise, the brooms will be coming out of the closet, and that is something I can't bear to watch.

In other news, I've not been too excited about the reality that is trading news of late. This market is ridiculous and completely unpredictable. I finally bought a position in Visa (V) when it took a hit late last week and early this week. I noticed it was up almost two dollars (4%) today, and I'm hoping it will keep climbing. I hope the recent downturn was just a pullback, and that it's all uphill from here. My retirement is banking on it. Of course, my most successful stock in recent months has been Petro-Canada (PCZ), and while it has also seen a pullback (ouch), I'm hoping it is also on track for a major uphill climb. Time will tell, and I hold several options with both July and September expirations, but I think I'm right in that oil stocks will again be up over the long hot summer. I'll liquidate my positions in late summer if all goes well, then buy again in mid to late fall before home heating costs skyrocket this winter. It's a plan, anyway.
CZ

No comments: