Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Big Debate


The argument is valid for a Birkenstock to be classified as a mandal. It doesn't necessarily fit my personal definition as such, nor does a Reef style flip flop qualify as a mandal in my book. Granted, Manolo Blahnik I am not, but I know what looks good and what doesn't. If you have feet that look like Frodo's from Lord of the Rings, you shouldn't be wearing any foot attire that exposes even the slightest bit of flesh below the ankle. Here are perfect visual examples (the top middle being the most ridiculous) of the footwear about which I speak. The worst offenders are those that cover most of the foot, yet allow toes with inch long curly brown nails to peek through. Also, my vision of a mandal is also mainly leather. Nylon (ie Teva) doesn't really scream Mandal! to me when I see them. I'm sorry if I've offended people, but the world would be a much more pleasant place without the full leather, skin exposing footwear.
CZ







4 comments:

Unknown said...

the top pair of sandals is making me giggle!! especially if i picture you, chris, wearing them!! haha!

*Jen* said...

ALL of those sandals make me laugh!
And they all are *exactly* what I have in mind when someone says "mandal." (and they do happen to look like footwear Peppas owns or has owned in the past.)
*giggle*

Jeremy Peppas said...

I wear my mandals with pride!

Here's my definition, leather sandals that if sized smaller would be okay for the ladies to wear.
That would include birks since the only difference between a man and woman's birk is the size. Or at least I think that's generally the case.
I have two pairs of what I consider mandals: some clod hopper doc martens that are open-toed and black. Another is pair of leather slides, purchased at the Bananna Republic in Kansas City some years ago.
The former I like so much they are basically falling apart from wear and tear. The latter I don't care for, no cushioning.
I have other sandals but they are made of plastic and have a Nike logo.
But I propose a new game.
Instead of mandal spotting, I say find adult men wearing Crocs and then throw rocks at them.

Brownie said...

I must defend Birk wearers - as I am one of them...Living here in Florida my feet can't be contstrained by so called "shoes" My tootsies need to breathe on the weekends...In fact most weekends I take a no shoes pledge...I do not consider Birks to be Mandals...and if you people do then maybe we can no longer be friends....Isn't this debate what started the Civil War!!!!