Thursday, March 27, 2008

End of the World


I have been inundated with news of impending doom today. It is all very feasable, and all very scary. Scott just chimed in with a link everyone should check out (see comments from: "Black Gold" yesterday). This is something big on top of big news I heard this morning. Margins on corn and wheat just moved up almost 50% overnight. This means that prices for this stuff is going to be ridiculous this year. All of the laws we passed for cooking corn for our cars is looking very stupid right now. There are many articles that talk about the ridiculous amount of corn it takes to get just one gallon of ethanol. Here's a good article:




This lack of food is very important and a HUGE problem in the 'big picture'. I was going to joke about how this will cause the price of beer to go up, but I'm growing more concerned about how much it will be to eat, let alone enjoy a pint of my favorite suds.


And to make matters worse, the big oil problem could compound VERY rapidly. I am in the business of toys that require fuel. This is not good. I've been tossing around the idea of adding on a fuel system to my Jeep that would enable it to run on Propane (LPG)-yes, the same stuff you use in your gas grill. I think it's going to be something I seriously consider doing. The only real disadvantage is having to store a big tank for LPG fuel, most likely behind the seats, which would limit my capacity for storage. We'll see what happens.


CZ

7 comments:

*Jen* said...

That is scary.

Scott said...

People don't realize how important oil is to our everyday lives.

Imagine oil disappears as some predict. Suddenly, farmers can't run those combines or run the pumps to irrigate their crops. That leads to a food shortage.

Seriously, the Amish might rule the US in 50 years. They're the only ones who won't be affected by an oil crash.

Of course, I also worried about Y2K, so what do I know? But no matter what happens the Ozark Mountain Daredevils will band together and survive any catastrophes!

Craig said...

I'm ready to overtake a Wal-Mart and maintain ruthless control over needed supplies.

*Jen* said...

You guys are dorks, I mean Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

Jeremy Peppas said...

The Amish and all those cats living off the grid up in the hills of Newton County.
Makes me wish I had a family cabin on the Mulberry with a garden, some solar panels and a water filtration system.

reda gamal 01220689236 said...

افضل شركة تنظيف موكيت بابها
افضل شركة تنظيف موكيت بنجران
افضل شركة تنظيف موكيت بجازان
افضل شركة تنظيف موكيت بابها
افضل شركة تنظيف موكيت بخميس مشيط

reda gamal 01220689236 said...


افضل شركة تنظيف كنب بابها
افضل شركة تنظيف كنب بجازان
افضل شركة تنظيف كنب بنجران
شركة تنظيف كنب بخميس مشيط